Tuesday, November 11, 2014

National Novel Writing Month: The First Twelve Days.



This is my first blog post in over two weeks. I have been too busy writing fiction to blog. I am doing National Novel Writing Month and I have written 18,544 words of a new novel over the past 12 days. The aim is to write 50,000 words by the end of the month, an average of 1667 words a day. So far, I have made that average on ten of the twelve days, with my daily totals varying between 1303 to 1887 words.

I have done NaNoWriMo twice before. This time it is a lot harder due to tiredness caused by the medication I am taking for my ulcerative colitis. The crappy disease became active again about six weeks ago, appeared to go away for about a week, but then it came back.

So I am tired. And I need to get ahead with my writing because there are things happening at the end of the month that will eat into writing time (that’s assuming my UC disappears). I am only 111 words ahead of schedule.

But the tiredness has not wrecked my reawakened enthusiasm for writing, my main reason for doing NaNoWriMo. I find myself thinking about the novel all the time, while watching the news, while walking, while people are talking to me. It’s a half hour walk to town and I have been spending much of that time scribbling notes on a pad. Many days I go for a walk before writing, so when I get home and turn on the computer my characters thoughts and actions are raring to flow.

So it's a battle between enthusiasm and tiredness, hopefully the former wins. 


2 comments:

Anthony J. Langford said...

Youre doing great Graham. Your mind's working the way it supposed to so I am sure you will reach the goal.
Even if you dont quite get there, it means nothing, only that youre still working on a project, that may turn out better with a higher word count and more time.
Go easy and best of luck.

Graham Clements said...

Thanks Anthony