Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Writing Week (16)

Hi all,

I had the most productive week of writing since I completed my masters this week. Still less than half of what I am aiming for though. I finished chapter twelve and I am now 63,000 words into the novel. Sometime this week I aim to go through the outline and cut out anything that doesn't move the story foward. I figure if the characters behave themselves in the next chapter so the relationship seems to have finally reached some semblence of normalcy, I then can jump foward to the calalyst that is going to change that normalcy. I think I have about 40,000 words to go as a lot does have to happen before the story reaches its climax. That 40,000 words will be written much quicker than the first half of the novel.

I critiqued a story for critters, and I am finally making some headway into the novel I am critiquing. I am up to page 190 with 110 to go and so far the novel is as good or better than many of the published science-fiction novels I have read.

About the only thing not improving is my reading. Again, I was too tired last week to read much.

I have been putting together a ranked list of international science-fiction novels I have read. It's depressing to pick up a novel that I have read and have no idea what it is about. Other novels I remember for perhaps the wrong reasons, like the gratuitous homosexual sex in the novel "Stars in my Pockets Like Grains of Sands" by Samuel R. Delaney. I can't remember anything else about the story although I think it was a detective story. Hopefully I will blog the list this week.

Graham.

No comments: